f a v o u r i t e b o o k s o f 2 0 1 8


f a v o u r i t e     b o o k s     o f      2 0 1 8


so 2018 is almost over, it is the 30th, but the only book I might finish before 2019 is history is all you left me and that is a reread, I have read 109 books so far. 76 of them were in English, a few were in French (I had my finals this year) and the rest was in german.  My average rating was 4.01, which is quite high, but mostly because I have reread 28 books, most of them my favourites, so these got all high ratings, of the new books, not too many I considered new faves, but here they are in no particular order, as usual, I did not count rereads.

invictus – ryan graudin
            really fun and fast paced time-travel story with loveable characters

stand-off – andrew smith
the sequel to winger by andrew smith, set in a boarding school, grief, friendship, I just have this intense love for andrew smith’s books and while reading, i kept thinking “i never want this to end”

the disreputable history of frankie landau banks – e.lockhart
same as with andrew smith, e.lockhart is one of my faves, especially, because most of her books are fun contemporaries, but they are feminist af and tackle all the problems I have with other ya romances

the princess saves herself in this one – amanda lovelace
I cried so hard, again the feminism and grief and abuse, this book hit me deep, some of the poems have really stayed with me all year long

a darker shade of magic – v.e.schwab
            I love this world and the characters, I really have to read the second book

the great gatsby – f.scott fitzgerald
I read this for my finals, and wow, do I really have to say something about this?

and then there were none – agatha Christie
again, I read this for school, but I specifically chose this, because Agatha christie never disappoints

the boyfriend list – e.lockhart
e.lockhart hit me again, I finally read her 4 book series about ruby oliver, and I am so sad, that not more people talk about it, again: feminism

the thing around your neck – chimamanda ngozi Adichie
I have been actively seeking out feminist lit in 2018 and the short stories in this collection have really touched me, I also read and loved we should all be feminists and a feminist manifesto this year, but they are not books

sapiens a brief history of human kind -yuval noah Harari
it took me quite some time to get through this, mainly because I only ever read a few pages at a time, when I was on public transport or had to wait, but the first half of the book was mind-blowingly good and the second one was, let’s call it regularly good, I just did not agree with everything he said, but he made some very interesting points

vicious – v.e.schwab
I love villains! Vicious was amazing, I loved how genuinely bad the characters were, the beginning was especially great, because of the structure


h o n o u r a b l e       m e n t i o n s

queen of air and darkness – cassandra clare
it was really good, but my expectations of cassie’s books are also really high and this one disappointed in just enough places to not completely blow me away

die Känguru Chroniken – marc-uwe kling
I have literally nothing negative about this, it is a collection of short sequences that tell the story of a german writer and performer who lives with a communist kangaroo and I have laughed so hard, but it is not really structured like story

a very large expanse of sea -  tahereh mafi
feminism, it was almost perfect, I just wasn’t as invested in the characters as I would have liked to be

the lady’s guide to petticoats and piracy – mackenzie lee
this was the first asexual rep I have ever read and, I myself am not asexual, so I can’t really tell, but I could really get an insight in what it is like and how society does not understand and accept it, also really funny, the ending was a bit crazy

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts