Top 17 best books of 2017


2017 was a great reading year, I surpassed my goal of 100 books by 5 books, and I felt like I never got in a reading slump. I read so many good books this year, some of them even great. So here are my top 17 best books of 2017.


number 17              The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas


The world needed this book and I love Angie for writing it, I just was not as deeply moved by this book as I had hoped to be. Still, a great book, it certainly deserves all the love it gets.


number 16              We Are Okay by Nina LaCour


Again, I really loved this book, it was also a very quick read, but I expected a little bit more.


number 15              Falling Kingdoms 1-4 by Morgan Rhodes

 

This one is definitely a guilty pleasure. I flew through these books, mainly because they are ridiculously fast paced. When I really think about it, I realise, that I actually dislike most of the characters and also the plot, but I absolutely adore Magnus, and Magneo, and that makes it up for me.


number 14              All the light we cannot see by Anthony Doerr


I got this book as a review copy from its German publisher and it was great. I loved how the Doerr wove together both stories, but here is a link to my review in German.

 

number 13              A List of Cages by Robin Roe


 A List of Cages was a very touching story about friendship and family, I loved every second of it.


number 12              The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue  by Mackenzie Lee


This one deserved all the hype it got! Monty is kind of a pain in the neck but his and Percy’s relationship is beautiful. And I also can’t wait for the second book.


number 11              They both die at the end by Adam Silvera


Adam Silvera did it again. Beautiful and heartbreaking.


number 10              Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart


If you follow me on my bookstagram, you probably know that We were Liars is one of my all-time favourite books, so you can guess how excited I was, when Genuine Fraud got announced, and it was great, I loved it so much, I just expected more from the ending, especially comparing it to the ending of We were Liars.


number 9                Fly on the Wall by E. Lockhart


Again, E. Lockhart is one of my faves. Fly on the wall was rather a surpise, the premise is a little strange, it is a modern take on Franz Kafka’s Metamorphosis, which I disliked strongly, and it is also really short, but I loved every page.


number 8                Wolkenschloss by Kerstin Gier


Wolkenschloss, or Cloud Castle in English, is Kerstin Gier’s newest release; hence there is no English edition yet. Kerstin is amazing and I loved her this newest book, especially because it is set in Switzerland, where I live.


number 7                Words in Deep Blue by Cath Crowley


Grafitti Moon, also by Cath Crowley, is a rather unknown book that I love nonetheless. Her new book is a homage and book lovers and beautifully written.


number 6                The Kiss of Deception, The Heart of Betrayal by Mary E. Pearson


I expected to love this and I was not disappointed at all. The way the story is constructed is so great and I genuinely can’t decide which guy I like better, Rafe or Kaden.


So those last 5 ones are not really in a set order, I loved them all so much that I can not really place them.

So maybe to kick it off, here are some honourable mentions, that did not make it on the list, but were still really good:


The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli
Emmy and Oliver by Robin Benway
Fantastic Beasts and where to find them the Screenplay by J. K. Rowling
A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

number 5                Carry On by Rainbow Rowell


Again, this one deserves all the hype. I actually read it twice this year. Simon and Baz are too adorable to handle and Baz in general is just amazing.


number 4                Lord of Shadows by Cassandra Clare


Do I really have to explain this? I wrote a 6 page long review for LoS. One day Cassie will kill me with her books.


number 3                Turtles all the Way Down by John Green


John Green really surprised all of us with TATWD. The description of his own mental illness was heart breaking but also hopeful. John just proved once again what a talented writer he is.


number 2                History is all you left me by Adam Silver


I cannot describe the emotions this book made me feel. It was a rollercoaster.


number 1                Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo


Wow, this duology is perfect, mainly because the characters are amazing. KAZ BREKKER IS EVERYTHING I EVER WANTED IN A BOOK. The heist was so captivating and I had one heart attack after the other while reading this. 

Thank yoz for sticking around. I hope 2018 will be a great reading year for all of us.

Joëlle





Kommentare

Beliebte Posts